Friday 27 January 2012

Autumn is coming this way!

Despite the continued heat wave, I know that Autumn is just around the corner so I have started planning ahead. I have taken dozens of cuttings of summer flowering perennials, planted the last lot of bush beans, decided on the plantings for a hedge that I will be planting out in March, right at the front of the block where it is hottest and driest. I am planning a 'double hedge' of pretty fluffy double white oleanders with Plumbago in front of this.I can't decide whether to use just white Plumbago or weaken and add a few lovely sky blue Cape ones... hmm. It's a dilemma.

I also need to get rid of lots of the suckers of the Cape Honeysuckle that has literally taken over the bed. There are also lots of seedling cherry plums, a couple of seedling white cedars, one more huge Cotoneaster, a few drought affected Loquats, a desert ash that is too close to a blue stone retaining wall etc etc. However I want to leave enough protection to get new, more desirable plants started and I will also probably have to move the Forest Pansy I planted last winter - this hot summer has been a real struggle for it as it gets sun nearly all day as well as reflected heat from the brick drive. I make sure it is well watered, but its leaves are so delicate they have been taking a real pounding.

I am thinking of  including some Viburnum Dawn and some more Mock Orange (Philadelphus Mexicanus) as well as loads of Ajuga ground cover in shady spots, good old freesias, jonquils etc as underplantings, plus hopefully rampant forget-me-nots and Johnny Jump Up violas. Lots of back breaking work ahead - will attack the watering system - everything will need a dripper, a weed mat and maybe a tree guard to start with and get through the first cold winter.

So, lots to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment